Friday, May 9, 2008

I am TIRED!

I don't think I've ever been as tired as I was this last weekend. I started a job working nights 12am to 8am to be exact so it's really working early mornings. I am a dispatcher who calls on alarms that go off in people's homes and businesses. You know, 24 hour monitoring? Well, that's me! There is always someone else in there with me so it's not JUST me. So if an alarm comes in we look at it and 50/50 chance it is just a test or something else that is a no-brainer just run it through and you're done. If it isn't then we have to call and see if everything is OK and if not then call the police. You get the idea, so it's an important job, but it is fairly easy with 5 alarms that come in the average hour and 2 of those requiring some sort of action. So I am really thankful for the job because not many jobs you get paid to read books or surf the web in between doing your job. It's not a lot of money but it's comparable to what I would get at Wallyworld doing back breaking stocking and on my feet the whole night. Thankful? You bet I am!
But last weekend I started this and it hit me pretty hard, plus the monthly "visitor", and BAM was I wiped out! I only got a couple hours sleep right before going to work, I would lay down when the kids went to bed (8pm) and then get up at 11:15, get ready and go. Not too bad but with everything going on that weekend and the monthly, well, you get the idea. I was so tired my head was spinning. I felt like I was made of concrete and it took everything it had in me to move. I've never been so drunk that I passed out, actually, I've never been drunk at all, but I would imagine that the way I felt was how people feel drunk or hung over. It was pretty bad! But this is the only kind of job that I can have and really I am thankful for it!! It's God's way of providing for us as we get "over the hump" with Ramon's business! Oh OK, one more thing to add to this discussion: it is FREEZING COLD in the room where I am. It's one big room about the size of a living room with a couple smaller rooms off them (bathroom with files and kitchenette with files). We could go outside for a minute, but, come on, it is 2 or 3 in the morning and I don't WANT to go outside! So we are in this little room with a million dollars worth of computer equipment and the temp has to stay at 68 degrees all the time. Now, you may think that 68 is nice and everything but when you are pretty much just sitting and can't go anywhere, in a below-ground room, it's 4 in the morning and 40 degrees outside and with 68 degree air blowing down on your head then that is not "nice". I literally wear 4 layers of shirts to go to work. Plus there is a blanket there if it just gets a little too cold. I think there needs to be a treadmill there to warm up! I need some of those Isotoner gloves so I can still type without blowing on my fingers! BUT I am THANKFUL for that cold, you know why? Because it keeps me awake!! HA! Despite the fact that I got very little sleep last weekend, I really didn't have too many problems staying awake. Funny how God works, huh?

1 comment:

DaNella Auten said...

How did you find that job? It does sound like a good one for your sitch.
are you coping well with sleep deprevation?