Sunday, January 20, 2008

My Josiah!

I am also thankful for my second born son (I used to say #2 son but that never sat right with me) Josiah David. He is a breath of fresh air. He is a great observer and tells what's on his mind but only when he wants to. I am thankful that he is not like his older brother, I don't need 2 of one kind of kid and he is so different that I think how did these 2 boys come from the same parents?! (no doubt, they do!) He rarely throws a temper tantrum and when he does he is quite serious and something is seriously wrong in his life. I pay attention to his tantrums, because usually there has been a great injustice in his eyes and if he is THAT passionate about it then I need to take a few minutes and hear him out. Now, they are sometimes for little things, like little brother broke my soldiers (you know those little plastic green ones that come in a pack for $1). He had them all lined up ready for battle and while he was at school little brother came and stomped on them and most got broken. Yes, it is a tragedy for this boy, but when mommy explains that little brothers do that kind of thing and it is possible to get more, he dries his tears and moves on with his life. I LOVE THAT! He really does make the best of things and when he understands (or at least if things are explained in an appropriate way) he will accept that and not be upset for hours or act like it is the end of the world all the time. I am thankful that he does well in school. He writes letters backwards, but hey, in time that will correct itself. He is great with homework except for the initial No I don't want to do homework now thing, he is done in record time. His reading is improving weekly, the other day he read a story and by golly I was impressed. He doesn't really LIKE to read yet, he won't read a book for fun, except for the picture books and animal books. But again, that will come as he figures out that reading is actually fun. And I am SOOOOOOO thankful he is not a trouble maker at school. I really don't have to worry about if the teacher will call me to come get him, I don't have to worry about parent/teacher conferences. He likes to talk and tell me about OTHER kids and how they use the "f" word (in our family the f word is fart we don't use that word) and how other kids lie to the teacher and disobey. See? Very observant. I think he uses OPM to guide him. OPM would be Other People's Mistakes, he observes what other people do, mistakes they make and calculates the cost to himself and says that's not worth the trouble so he is rarely in "trouble"! God has given him a great gift in that! I also am thankful we were able to use one of my favorite names "Josiah", it means "the FIRE of the Lord" so cool, huh??? How can you go wrong when every time I call him his name I am calling him the fire of the Lord?! Awesome! I love names and the meaning of names.
Side note: Daniel's name means "God is my Authority"!!
Josiah in the Bible was 8 years old when he became king and he was a good king in spite of having bad kings ahead of him and behind him. Probably because of his mother! My speculation only I am not a Bible commentator!
I am thankful that he is so kind hearted towards animals, he lacks the skills to take care of them properly, but he is 7 and I can't count on him to remember everything. But he loves animals and is awed by the croc hunter and was so sad when he died. He said he was going to go work for that Zoo in Australia. I said great as long as I can visit you whenever I want! He wants to be a Vet, and a Monster Truck Driver. I said as long as it's in that order because I don't see any money in the 2nd one!! He is a good basketball player, stays focused on the game. In T-ball he was little, age 4-5, and he didn't pay very close attention, but basketball seems to be good for him, keep him focused and really on a "team". He is friends with everyone he meets. He says he likes a girl in his class and last week kissed her. This from a kid who doesn't like the kissing scene in any movie (even cartoons who kiss!). So I don't know what really happened and he was at least able to talk to me about it, so the communication is open and he is still a great boy that I am proud to call mine for a season. He is God's really and I can't take any credit to his easy going nature and more quiet personality. God made him that way and knew we needed him to be just like he is. I am so thankful to God for letting me have this time with him. He is such a neat person and can't wait to see all that God has stored up for him.

1 comment:

Etta :) said...

My Carson, the second one, is a lot like your Josiah. Slow to anger.....praise the Lord for that! And you are so right that they are only ours for a season.

Isn't it ironic that always, the first thing I ever did after having a baby was call my church. I would give them the details and then schedule the baby dedication ceremony. They are HIS children.